Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happies and Sads...

It is no secret that I am not the best blogger. I think it is because I don't pause much in life. It is the same reason I don't read much. I like to "Go. Go. GO!!!" It's not even so much that I like to, it is just what I do... For example in high school I got the "Energizer Bunny" award at the end of one of my swim seasons. I just "keep on going and going and going"

I've been thinking a lot about blogs lately since several people have complained about my lack of blogging - even though I have one. I know it is disappointing to them and actually I hate to start anything that I don't stick to (another point of my personality), so it has been bugging me too. But I don't want blogging to become a chore. I want to enjoy it.

Combine those thoughts with one of my New Year's Resolutions for 2012... to keep a better journal. I want to record about my children. I have already missed so much because of my Go. Go. GO!!! attitude. I want to reflect on each day. I know it is something that God would have me do too. To keep a record, it is one of His commandments and I am so bad at it.

Each night while growing up my mom would ask my sisters and me about our 'happies' and our 'sads' for the day and what we could learn from our 'sads'. I read an article today by Elder Christofferson, "Recognizing God's Hand in Our Daily Blessings"  (while running on my treadmill of course - I'm telling you, I don't/won't stop) it made me think about that tradition. I LOVED it growing up and I still do, but I rarely do it. Elder Christofferson said, "In reality, there aren’t many things in a day that are totally without significance. Even the mundane and repetitious can be tiny but significant building blocks that in time establish the discipline and character and order needed to realize our plans and dreams... As you retire to bed, think about the successes and failures of the day and what will make the next day a little better... You will be able to rejoice in one more day, one more step toward eternal life."

This article started me thinking about how to fulfill my New Years Resolution, my distaste for doing something only halfway, and most importantly fulfilling God's Commandment to keep a record of my life. I want to rejoice in each day and move as close as possible in this life towards Eternal Life. I decided the thing I want to write about most is about my adventure as a MOTHER. That is my life right now. It is my full-time job and I LOVE IT!!! Since Valentines Day 2008 (the day I took my first pregnancy test - and saw a + sign) that has been my life. I'm all wrapped up in Jake and our most precious treasures from the Lord (so far that is Himaya & Teancum, & I am not ashamed to say hopefully there will be more to come). This is the reason for this blog. It is for me to think about the successes and failures of the day and think about what will make the next day a little better. In a nutshell (or my mom's words) my 'happies' and my 'sads' and what I can learn from those 'sads'.

I really don't care much who will read this blog. If you want to read it great. If not, that is okay too. Here is your fair warning that I will be baring much of my soul here. One thing about turns me off about blogs, is only writing posts to look good. I agree we should be positive and put our best foot forward but I like REAL. I like REAL people. I like TRUTH. I like when what you see is what you get. And on the other extreme - be yourself but be your "Best Self." What I care most about is fulfilling what I have decided to fulfill and keeping a true record of each day. To learn what God would have me learn. Writing has always be therapeutic for me and now I am going to put it to work in my life.

The title of this blog comes from my dear friend Falicia Poteet. When I told her I was pregnant (with Maya) she congratulated me and said something to me that has been running through my mind ever since... From the very beginning of this adventure until now and I'm sure it will stick with me to the end of time... "Mom's Not for Wimps". This statement is one of the truest I have EVER heard. Being a Mom is HARD WORK especially if you want to be a good one. The one that God has intended you to be. And that is what I want to do more than anything else in my life, be the kind of Mother, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Niece, Neighbor, Granddaughter, and friend that God would have me be. But mostly Wife and Mother since those are my most sacred callings in this life.

There you have it... and here it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment